When you schedule a consultation with an attorney, there are some documents that you should bring to your first meeting.
To obtain the best legal advice possible, you should bring, at a minimum, the following:
- any pleadings already filed in the case
- tax returns for the past three years
- current paystubs for the other party (when possible) and yourself
- a list of current assets and liabilities
- childcare costs (if there are children)
- health insurance costs for all parties and children (if any)
It is not always possible to have all of these documents for the first consultation, but the more of these documents that you have, the more accurate the legal advice you receive will be.